- Case studies, success stories, patents
- Invested teams, blended workflow
- Nottingham Spirk has developed hundreds of patented products that have generated tens of billions in sales for industry leading businesses and fast-growth entrepreneurial firms.
- We attribute our success to our creative, skilled, and innovative team that can work at a fast pace and maintain flexibility when requirements change.
- All our work, from research to product design to protoyping to testing, is conducted at our Innovation Center, ensuring efficiency, confidentiality and intellectual property protection.
- All of our clients trust Nottingham Spirk because of our strong reputation bringing game-changing product inventions to market quickly and with proven ROI — Return On Innovation™.
- Our partnerships for innovation span the globe from high-tech manufacturing facilities across the world to specialized medical technicians within a mile of the Nottingham Spirk Innovation Center.
- News, product launches, thought leadership
- Send email, stay in touch
Nottingham Spirk Design is a leading innovation and product design firm that works with major consumer, medical, and capital goods manufacturers along with retailers to bring new products to market. Located in Cleveland, Ohio, Nottingham Spirk has been in business for nearly 40 years. Our 1,000 worldwide commercialized patents have generated over $45 billion in revenue for our clients.
We attribute our success to our highly creative, skilled and innovative team of designers that can work at a fast pace while maintaining flexibility to changing design requirements.
Nottingham-Spirk Design is looking to expand our design team with the following positions available:
- ProEngineer Mechanical Designer
- Senior Product Designer / Program Manager
Position Available: ProEngineer Mechanical Designer
Nottingham-Spirk Design seeks mechanical designers with at least 5 years on-the-job experience with ProEngineer CAD. The ideal ProEngineer candidate will have proficiency in complex surfacing, assemblies and mechanisms.
Minimum responsibilities include:
Coordinate with product development engineers and industrial designers to create Pro Engineer CAD data in 3 main phases:
- Preliminary engineering layout
- Refinement of CAD data to support the construction of functional prototypes, utilizing knowledge of machining & fast prototyping methods.
- Refinement of CAD data to a production standard, reflecting the critical geometric requirements of mass production technologies including sheet metal forming, plastic injection molding, metal casting, extrusions, etc.
Purchased component support
- Using pre-established product specifications, identify general hardware, material and components required to complete the mechanical design.
- Update bill-of-material with component information.
- Accurately represent purchased components in CAD model.
- Purchase hardware, material and component samples as necessary to confirm critical form factors.
- Educate shop personnel on critical design aspects and assembly procedures prior to and during prototype build jobs.
- Participate in design change discussions that may lead to changes to the CAD database.
Optional job responsibilities include:
- Originate a product bill-of-material in Excel.
- Maintain bill-of-material as a living document throughout the life of a project.
2D data generation
- Provide 2D data to our fabrication shop as required to support prototype builds.
- Provide production grade 2D data as required to support our clients’ tooling and production programs.
Position Available: Senior Product Designer
We are seeking a creative and experienced senior industrial designer to join our team.
Working closely between product management, R&D, and sales, the Senior Industrial Designer is responsible for driving and managing all aspects of new product design.
Candidates must have proven experience in consumer goods and brand strategy, be self-motivated, and be comfortable in a collaborative, fast-paced work environment.
The ideal candidate would:
- Be a passionate, seasoned designer with a strong sense of design
- Have the ability to multi-task
- Produce high-level solutions in diverse product categories while maintaining brand integrity
- Be effective in creating product strategy for our clients
Candidate should have the following:
- A minimum of 10+ years of experience (15 years preferred) as an industrial product designer (Bachelors degree in Industrial Design)
- 3+ years of experience with project management
- Extensive project management and client contact experience
- A diverse portfolio of intuitive products that demonstrate ability to visually describe a concept or process
- Experience that spans consumer, medical, and industrial products
- Sound understanding of core manufacturing processes and their limitations
- Ability to evaluate design ideas based on factors such as appearance, design-function relationships, serviceability, materials and methods, engineering, application, budget, price, production costs, methods of products, market characteristics, and client specifications
- Experience interfacing with overseas manufacturing
- Sketching skills to visually communicate design concepts
- Exposure to consumer research techniques and practices
- Superior skills in relevant software applications (Alias, Photoshop) in order to develop designs in two and three dimensions
- Ability to work well with others
Salary commensurate with experience and education
Benefits include health, dental, vision, life insurance, and 401K
If interested, please send your resume and portfolio samples in PDF form, attached to an email cover letter, to firstname.lastname@example.org. Address all inquiries to John Spirk, Co-President, Nottingham-Spirk Design.