- Case studies, success stories, patents
- Invested teams, blended workflow
- Nottingham Spirk has developed hundreds of patented products that have generated tens of billions in sales for industry leading businesses and fast-growth entrepreneurial firms.
- We attribute our success to our creative, skilled, and innovative team that can work at a fast pace and maintain flexibility when requirements change.
- All our work, from research to product design to protoyping to testing, is conducted at our Innovation Center, ensuring efficiency, confidentiality and intellectual property protection.
- All of our clients trust Nottingham Spirk because of our strong reputation bringing game-changing product inventions to market quickly and with proven ROI — Return On Innovation™.
- Our partnerships for innovation span the globe from high-tech manufacturing facilities across the world to specialized medical technicians within a mile of the Nottingham Spirk Innovation Center.
- News, product launches, thought leadership
- Send email, stay in touch
Matco Tools’ re-designed exclusive line of automotive tools and service carts has helped them carve out a unique presence in the crowded tool marketplace.
Matco has been selling automotive equipment, tools and toolboxes since 1946. For much of their history, they’ve sourced open stock products from external vendors. They asked Nottingham Spirk to design an exclusive line of products that would highlight their brand and give them a user-desired advantage.
Our design and engineering team designed a distinctive set of tools with ergonomic designs and features that helped mechanics work more comfortably and more productively. We also designed custom toolboxes and service carts, extending the product range to include base models for entry-level mechanics and enthusiasts, improved mid-range versions, and a new high-end model with innovative features that increased storage space with better tool access. The redesigned models featured a “grow-with-you mentality” giving users the ability to add storage shelves and personalize their cart. We also incorporated Matco’s logo and badges into the new equipment to increase brand visibility and awareness.
The Nottingham Spirk innovation team began by observing and interviewing professional mechanics at their workplaces, to understand what tools they used most frequently, how they used them and what their pain points were. We also studied Matco’s internal operating dynamics and designed the toolboxes and service carts to leverage excess capacity at an underutilized production facility and streamlined the packaged profiles to reduce shipping costs.
Matco’s exclusive new tools and service carts helped revitalize the company’s business and differentiated them as a unique source of innovative products that enable mechanics to work smarter and be more productive.